Sunday: strangely warm temps this week…

The best snow forecast for Mt. Hood. The best wind forecast for the Gorge.
Support it with a contribution!

Thank you for using this forecast. Writing it takes 60-120 minutes a day; I can only keep it going with your generous financial support. Make a contribution or subscribe and get it in your inbox with bonus material. What’s that cost? Not $99 a year. Nope. Not $49. Contribute $19.99 or more, and you’re on the list for a year. People are added to this list on Thursday and Sunday. Thanks for your patience! Click below to contribute and keep the forecast going for everyone, nearly every day.

Credit card payments use this button

Click here to use your PayPal
Venmo: @theGorgeismyGym
Snail Mail: Temira Lital, PO Box 841, Hood River, Oregon 97031
(note: I am not a non-profit entity. The only way to accept credit cards with a user-defined amount is to use the ‘donate’ button. Thanks for understanding!)

Auto-renewing subscription. New! Awesome!

The Forecast

Mt. Hood Snow Forecast – 5000′
4a-8a 8a-12p 12p-4p 4p-8p 8p-4a

Mt. Hood Weather Forecast

The sunrise on Mt. Hood this morning was absolutely stellar, and that’s a positive place from which to start this not-snowy forecast. Generally speaking, the weather remains warm through the end of this week. A cold front swings in and briefly takes temps, at least surface temps, below freezing for next weekend. Models then suggest temps will warm back up for a bit before a possible shift to colder weather about 12 days out. Probabilities are the best way to look at this: The ECMWF gives us zero chance of 24” or more snow on the slopes by December 13, and only about 20-30% chance of 12” or more. The GFS is more optimistic: 60% chance of 12” or more, 40% chance of 18” or more, and 25% chance of 24” or more. Meanwhile, the coastal mountains of BC will pick up between 70 and 100” of snow… excuse me… 254cm are possible.

For Sunday, we have a warm day on the slopes, but it’s not the warmest this week. Starting temps were in the low 40’s at 5000′ The day will be partly cloudy, then clear in the afternoon, then cloudy overnight with a chance of drizzle late. The snow level will be 12,000′ this morning, 9000′ this evening, and 6500′ after midnight. Wind: WSW 25-35 all day dropping to W 20 overnight.

Monday starts cloudy with drizzle, turns clear, and then becomes high overcast overnight. A few wet snowflakes could mix in, but 850mb temps at +3C make rain more likely. The snow level will be 6500′ early, 5500′ in the afternoon (when the weather will clear), and 9000′ after midnight. Rain total will be about 0.3”. Wind: W 20 early, NW 10-15 mid-morning, W 10 in the afternoon, and WSW 10-20 overnight.

Tuesday starts high overcast, adds a tiny bit of drizzle, and turns clear overnight. The snow level will be 9000′ in the morning and will rise to 12,000′ overnight. Wind: WSW 15-20 in the morning, WNW 35-40 in the afternoon, and W 25 after midnight. Wednesday looks sunny and warm with 850mb temps rising to an astounding 13C, several degrees over 50F!

Given the snow-free forecast, I’m going to take the opportunity to forecast intermittently until things improve – this gives me a chance to get some other things done too… like working out in the morning and staying in shape for when the snow does arrive!  

Gorge Wind Forecast

Light westerly flow is in the forecast for the next few days along with unseasonably warm temps. Will it get windy enough for winging? It’s going to be right on the edge. We start Sunday with gradients of .05 and .00 and 10mph at Stevenson. Models suggest the wind will pick up to 11-14 from Stevenson to The Dalles for a few hours midday and then drop after 1pm. River flow is 46,700cfs, river temp is 49F, and high temp forecast is an astounding 60F!

Monday will be rainy until early afternoon. The wind starts light westerly, picks up briefly to 11-14 from Rowena to Arlington and drops back to light westerly or light and variable. High temp: 56F. Tuesday starts light and variable. A front moving in drives the westerlies up to 15-20 from Multnomah Falls to Stevenson, in the morning and then to Viento, maybe, midday. East of there, the wind will be light and variable, or at best, light westerly. High temp: 54F.  

Coast, Jones, Coast

Done until spring, unless there’s an obvious Coast or Sauvie’s or Jones day.  

Hood River Weather Forecast

Mostly cloudy sky this morning turns partly cloudy midday and rainy overnight. Temps will be in the low 50’s early (record high low?) and near 60 (record high) later. Light westerlies. No rainbows. Monday starts rainy and then turns drizzly with dry weather after 1pm. Temps will be in the upper 40’s early and mid to upper 50’s later. Light westerlies. 99% chance of rainbows. Tuesday will be mostly dry with scattered sprinkles in the afternoon. Temps will be in the low 40’s early and mid 50’s later. Light westerlies or calm wind. 99% chance of rainbows. Wednesday looks sunny.

Looking for a complete Columbia Gorge forecast? Looking for more humor in your weather? Obscenities? You’re looking for my TATAS: Temira’s Awesome Travel Advisory Service on Facebook.  


FREEZE-THAW ALERT: if you notice that temps were below freezing last night and will be above freezing today, don’t ride any trail that’s not under a tree canopy. If you do so, you WILL do significant damage. DON’T DO IT! Plentiful rain recently means most tree-covered trails are muddy. Please don’t ride them either. If you do, you’ll be doing significant and possibly permanent damage. No really, please don’t. There are lots of gravel roads and lots of pavement you can ride instead. Enjoy!  

Local Events

Please let me know about events. I often only hear about them if you folx let me know!  

Sprinter Van of the Week!

  Click here for the Sprinter Van map of the world!!!   Have an awesome day!

By Temira

Temira Lital is a recreation and travel weather forecaster based in Hood River, Oregon. Temira uses they/them pronouns. They're also a mental health counselor. Temira bikes, skis, windsurfs, paddles a SUP, swims in mountain lakes, and loves gardening. Most recently they've taken up SUP foiling. Temira is powered by La Croix, protein, and beets.